Friday, March 22, 2013

my oceans - His oceans

I'm not sure when I first saw the sea, but as long as I can remember I have had an aching longing for the sea when I am not near it.
I have often thought of the ocean while being very far from it in Minnesota. Other water, like the Mississippi River is also impressive, but there is something about the vast, limitlessness of the ocean. 
Galway Bay, Ireland
My desires for anything tend to be solidified in a dreaming of the sea, waves, beaches, and huge unknowable skies. Fears about my future and wonderings about the meaning of life have their potential answers in the sea. The possibilities seem endless when I think about the oceans. 
Cliffs of Moher (I will post more about that later) :) 
If I'm honest, when I get to the sea, while I am fully amazed, in awe and very solemnly joyful to be in the place I have dreamed and written and thought much about, something is missing. Something else that is not there by the sea. My aching longing is not met by the thing I desired so strongly.


I love what CS Lewis says about aching: "If you find in yourself a desire which no earthly thing can satisfy, the logical conclusion must be that you are made for another world. That other world - heaven - echoes in you." 

I am joyfully accepting that my needs and desires cannot be met by the things of this world. Praise God that he has put desires for eternity in my soul! What complex and wonderful things emotions and aching longings are.


Irish Sea
by Hannah Jak


The stirring, solemn march of tides,
beyond horizons ever rides.

The gulls awake me with their cries,
a glimpse of You against the skies.

The tumbled questions like the waves,
for who knows all but God who saves?

The wind is cold and salt, Your roar,
as waves crash ever on the shore.

4 comments:

  1. thanks Hannah and Ruthie,
    For all the awesome photos, I can't wait to see more of them
    I also love reading your blog and hearing about the super sweet and awesome time you are having. It makes me want to go see Ireland
    thanks again Hannah keep up the great work
    and God bless
    JimBo Beireis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James for the encouragement. We are enjoying sharing this beautiful country with others as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Hannah your word and photos make me cry. They are so beautiful. I am so glad you got to see the Cliffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom. :) And thanks for the advice on that!

      Delete